TO: A COY 2 PARA BN
FROM: SILBOT, CAPT, OC A COY 2 PARA
SUBJECT: Operation IRON UNIFORM VI 112000ZNOV2018
Weather: cold and foggy at dusk and dawn; hot and sunny during the day
Current pos: FOB SKUA
0 - CAPT Silbot
10A - Lt MacDonald
10B - Sgt Dahl
41A - A/LCpl Cullen
Limited high ground with dirt roads connecting compounds, gives way to fields with trees and shallow ditches lining the boundaries. Roads are limited in the lowlands and connect mud-walled compounds.
After a very successful operation in Chahar Dara, we have begun construction of a new FOB (codename KEYSTONE) within Chahar Dara which will greatly improve our response times to situations within our area of influence. Once we have completed KEYSTONE, 2 platoon will move into FOB SKUA with 3 platoon remaining at Camp FULMAR.
We now know the identities of the local Taliban commander, his son, 2 remaining deputies and the smuggler he associates with along with. Unfortunately, it is currently impossible to confirm the INTEL we have on enemy resources and troop movements. However we do now know how resources and fighters are entering the area undetected.
In the 3 days since construction of KEYSTONE began, a number of mortar rounds, RPGs and small arms have been fired towards KEYSTONE and Kar Shek. Unfortunately, one of the mortar rounds fired towards Kar Shek fatally wounded the police chief. We also believe that a number of Taliban have disguised themselves within the civilian population as the bodies of a village elder and his son were found near Tabeed. Both are believed to have been executed.
The enemy stronghold of Anbar Tappeh along with the village of Gerdan have been a regular source of SIGINIT. Along with limited HUMINT from the ANA and ANP, we believe the enemy have brought large amounts of reinforcements in the form of fighters, weapons, ammunition, explosives and other materiel into the AO. We currently have no INTEL as to the intended destination of these resources.
Due to these events, the planned night assaults on Andi and the stronghold of Kamar have been postponed until further notice in order to allocate all required resources for an assault on the suspected enemy HQ of Tal Kar before it can be reinforced.
Due to the current air threat, air support is restricted from crossing further north than Tap La. MEDEVACs will need to fly NOE once north of Tap Ka.
BN HQ is considering a ROE adjustment in response to the evolving environment.
Strength: J2 assessed as Coy Strength remaining in our AO.
Morale: Assessed as reasonable
Small arms: Generally AK type small arms up to 14.5mm of Russian manufacture but with some older western FN type armaments being displayed.
Hvy Weapons: RPG7 or variants and 82mm mortars are likely.
Vehicles: Civilian vehicles or technicals
Aircraft: Not likely
Air Threat: At least 1x FIM-92 Stinger
Mine Threat: LOW in general but assume HIGH IED threat in areas of interest.
A Coy 2 & 3 Plt will be on standby at Camp FULMAR
ANA understrength Coy in the AO.
Air assets are available.
With environment around us changing regularly, BN HQ has decided the capture of the suspected Taliban HQ of Tal Kar is key to the creation of a buffer zone between ourselves and the enemy.
We will therefore liaise with the ANA at their base in Chahar Dara, The ANA will place themselves into a fire support position in the desert hills to the south west of Tal Kar, giving us to cover to assault Tal Kar itself.
Troops are to exercise caution when engaging targets. There is a high possibility that the enemy will use human shields in their operations. The relationship and level of trust between ourselves and the civilian population is on a knife edge after deaths of the village elder and his son, the relationship between civilians and the ANA/ANP is not far behind. There is also a possibility that the enemy will have left key intelligence in and around the compounds of Tal Kar.
We are not expecting a defending force of more than 2 sections.
2 platoon are currently tasked with security around KEYSTONE.
3 platoon will continue to hold their positions south of Andi.
The ANA with continue to hold Kar Shek Ark along with their positions around Tanpeh and south of Andi.
Orders from Capt Silbot/Lt MacDonald to follow.
Card ALPHA. People live and work in this AO and we are not here to disrupt that. I expect sighting reports to be coming to me before anyone starts engaging targets unless there is a clear and immediate threat to life.
i. Dress: CEFO, MTP and PPE.
ii. Equipment: As per SOP
ii. Weapons: As per SOP
iv. Ammo: As per SOP
v. Meds/CMT: CSMR are to operate as per SOP.
IIX. COMMAND AND SIGNAL
i. Command: Capt Silbot (0A), Lt MacDonald (10A), Sgt Dahl (10B).
ii. Signals: 148/117 Channels; 1 Pltn Net Channel 1, Coy net Channel 3, Log Net Channel 4, Fires Net Channel 5, Flight net Channel 7.
iii. Challenge/Response: SIERRA NOVEMBER / OSCAR WHISKY