Operation 21NOV2010

Hicks

i personally like that feel it gives

just as a photograph doesnt quite exactly simulate your true vision, I like how these images only approximate what we "see" in game

at least, I like how you are mixing it up with the different looks, and Mr. Words is absolutely correct, you have a knack for capturing more than just a screenshot

Fuchs dude, you're missing the point of these, I think! :)

If he were trying to just take screenshots of the game, he'd do that and join the slew of others that do just that.

But Hicks produces images. Ones that you look at and go wow! What game is that?!

As mentioned as well - he really does get the feel and mood of what was happening with both composition and post processing. Awesome.

Fuchs dude, you're missing the point of these, I think! :)

If he were trying to just take screenshots of the game, he'd do that and join the slew of others that do just that.

But Hicks produces images. Ones that you look at and go wow! What game is that?!

As mentioned as well - he really does get the feel and mood of what was happening with both composition and post processing. Awesome.

Still, for me the screenshots would be better with less post processing. I'm not saying that they are bad, but it's probably the same as slow motion and blurr and high contrast in most of those ArmA2 vids.

It does look awesome, but after the 5th vid you start to prefer the less post processed stuff.

To quote someone from the TWI forums where I keep posting screenshots made by Hicks:

Nice screenshots.

But super bloomy high contrast low saturation cliche fails.

This is exactly the way I feel about it. For me the pics would tell more of a story if hicks would tone down the post processing a bit.

Anyway, they still are incredible pics.

Thanks for the comments, as ever, guys. I can see the argument from both sides, and will I admit I've been playing around a lot with the post processing on the last couple of sets of images. I quite like the overexposed look - I think it's more photo realistic, and that is kind of what I'm liking at the moment. If I can get any more out of the graphics I will try and produce some sharper 'game' images. It's difficult to get a clean shot without full AA/AF switched on, and you may have noticed that I had the view distance set to 50% for the last op (unintentionally - but it did make it difficult to create a feeling of depth on some of the shots). Basically, I'm just having fun producing these images. If I take it too seriously I'll probably get bored! Anyway, enjoy a few 'extra' shots I've added to this thread, for those who prefer the underexposed look (though I couldn't help adjusting the contrast a little!!!)!

I like the range of different post-processing effects. We all know what Arma 2 looks like, hell most of us were there, looking at the same stuff, while those screenshots were taken. The photos that have been worked over add a bit of artistry to it, they add more atmosphere. Some of the effects I'm more keen on than others, but it's still all good.

My own personal preference is the pictures where the colour balance and contrast have been tweaked to make it look more real (which is something all my snobbery photography mates do to actual photographs as well), but the more over the top shots are cool too.

Just makes me jealous that my PC can't seem to reliably manage those visuals. I've been trying, but I just can't get it. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived