Op CERBERUS XI

Pte Morris

I do love those new Ridgebacks. Great textures and they're brilliant for what we're trying to do in the deserts. The fact we can sling a Section into two of them is an added bonus. Few struggles getting used to them tonight as 2/1 will have no doubt seen but they're showing some great potential!

I managed to get into the top cover hatch at one point, I thought they were broken?

Yes it was nice to get behind some armour  (damn Merican spell checking) for the initial jaunt out of the PB. We should definitely do that more often. Last night we got humped because we couldnt cover the distance between us and Chakka Demus without being wiped out by nuclear RPG strikes. 

Actually has anyone tested one of those pesky RPGs against our vehicles. I suspect they'll make a mess. 

They don't actually do that much damage to the vehicles. Got hit by one last night and it damaged one of the wheels and injured a couple of guys inside slightly but nothing too bad. The vehicle looked a bit battered afterwards..

Top hatch is a bit hit and miss at the moment.. sometimes you can get into it, sometimes you can't. I think we'll get rid of the animating hatch/turn in and out thing and just put a couple of normal FFV positions there. I think it's better to have something simple that works than fancy animations that bugger up everytime there's like 1% desync.

Yeah perhaps the hatch was just closed the whole time Morris - this should be changeable from the Gunners seat. But as you say, seeing as in ArmA you can't really run up and post a grenade through the hole, it may as well just be open the whole time to make things easier. That hatch is really, really useful though. A couple of times as the Commander I switched into that top cover seat and actually it gives you a pretty good eyes on to the whole 180 rear of the wagon. We also mounted a GPMG in it at one stage to pretty good effect. When I eventually did jump into it I managed to spot some enemy advancing onto us through a ditch that otherwise would not have been seen so it's not just a gimmick!

You'll still be able to shoot out of the hatch like we did yesterday and you'll still be able to switch to it from inside the vehicle and vice versa. Only difference is you won't be able to close the hatches and sit on your seat. It's the animation that's messing up for some reason, appears Arma has some issues syncing stuff like that between players. The only bad thing with this is the people in the hatches wont be able to turn in, so if the start taking incoming and all the seats inside are taken, you're going to have to hope you don't get shot. The Ridgbacks are never really full though unless they're transporting infantry and they'd probably get out if there's a fire fight so doubt it would really affect FSG that much. It'll just mean you can actually get in the top cover 100% of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived