Op Driftwood Apache down

Baker

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

_FpXkShMlow

As an aside, I think the difficulty setting we play on determines where we get the unit leader indicator on the user interface, would make for better vids if we played on the difficulty that turns it off. I tried to turn it off mid game but it didn't work. :(

Yeah, that apache didn't just get shot down, it got totally annihilated by whatever that was, no engine failure, no blade failure, it was in pieces falling to the ground including the crew... ouch. There must have been some really big sams aiming at us, your standard tanguska wont even cause devastation like that.

I want to know what the hell was in the water that exploded under the chopper though... was that apache shot down by an enemy submarine? They said they had under a second warning of a missile fired which is not possible if it came from the mainland.

It almost looked like a damn landmine going off... weirdness.

PS to baker you can turn off the interface clientside if you wish for video making, you must do it in the ace client config before loading the game though.

Maybe an air to air missile? One of our guys had one of those automated spotting things "Unknown Airplane and helicopter. Grid 081157" (can read it in the original recording) so maybe what he saw was a plane or maybe a gunship taking a shot at range. Dunno what Mando style air to air weapons are capable of, but maybe there's something to that.

Nah, air to air missiles are even smaller than sams, the usual result is an engine failure or tailrotor failure, the aircraft almost never explodes in mid air from anything short of a direct hit with a hellfire, or being too close to a bomb going off. It looked like something exploded on the surface of the water and took the helicopter with it, I suppose if there was an enemy jet it could have dropped a bomb that happend to hit right under the apache? That would do it... really really weird how that went down.

Maybe there is something sneaky in Mando. Some sort of heavy duty SAM. I guess we can rule out a jet also because it didn't come after us looking for a rumble. Either way, there was much peeing of pants in the transport helos.

Several AA missiles hitting at once could very well produce this effect. If you've seen Tunguskas fire, they normally do a two, even three-missile volley. If there was more than one Tunguska, one'd necessarily be slightly closer. At any rate, I assume this utter destruction was because two or three missiles hit simultaneously. One missile seems to have struck the water. I also remember the lead helicopter had a "incoming missile" warning for some time.

(there aren't any BIG missiles, no. We don't have -real- SAMs. The Tunguskas and manpads are the worst we'll face until we incorporate air threats. I don't think it was air-to-air because the opposition had no airfield. Still, that's Enders's secret.)

Several AA missiles hitting at once could very well produce this effect. If you've seen Tunguskas fire, they normally do a two, even three-missile volley. If there was more than one Tunguska, one'd necessarily be slightly closer. At any rate, I assume this utter destruction was because two or three missiles hit simultaneously. One missile seems to have struck the water. I also remember the lead helicopter had a "incoming missile" warning for some time.

(there aren't any BIG missiles, no. We don't have -real- SAMs. The Tunguskas and manpads are the worst we'll face until we incorporate air threats. I don't think it was air-to-air because the opposition had no airfield. Still, that's Enders's secret.)

I actually thought I saw the lights from a runway threshold on the coast there. However, I had locked onto a Tunguska prior to our nasty demise but did not fire as I did not get the OK.

To be fair, I have a hell of a time pronouncing Tunguskas, and was having a difficult time hearing Linnell. It was probably just a communication break down.

I should have broke my lock while trying to get the go ahead to engage.

Archived