I was going to pick out a few choice moments. Decided instead just to get it all up.

Full video.

My personal favourite moment: Tank danger close, I'll deal with it.

My other favourite moments:

Coxson demise

A bloody annoying SU-85

Bombs away

There were a lot more great points.

Waiting in this building to ambush the Russians whilst being bombed, shelled and shot at was quite honestly one of the most intense experiences I've had in Arma.

It appears that my luck for avoiding explosions is still here!

How did that second grenade not get you mate?!

Great videos, I confess to having watched them all the way through!

I also belatedly realised that I did not brief all of you specifically enough on the very convenient German mortar position just atop the southern ridge on the final defensive line - I'd assumed that you would use it to keep those defilades clear of infantry as it was loss of that flank to infantry advancing that way which finally caved in the position.

Also a great shame the server finally died just before you could counter attack along the ridge - we waited as long as possible for it to recover, but in the end three significant positions and engagements just proved too much I think.

This just popped up on face book........  https://www.facebook.com/WW2-Colourised-Photos-393166910813107/

15965879_1100785643384560_89363085879327
'Operation Barbarossa', The German invasion of The Soviet Union.

8 cm Granatwerfer 34 (8 cm GrW 34) Mortar three-man crews.
(The barrel weighed about 40 pounds (19kg), the baseplate about 60-70 lbs, and the bipod around 30-40 lbs ..the total weight of all three pieces was about 140 pounds and each mortar round weighed almost 8 lbs. each)

"On the 22nd of June 1941 the German Wehrmacht invaded the Soviet Union (USSR). As noted in his dairy by the German Minister of Propaganda, Joseph Goebbels, this was the identical date to that chosen by Napoleon for his invasion of Russia, only 129 years later. Before the invasion, on Adolf Hitler's insistence, the German High Command (OKW) had developed a strategy to avoid repeating Napoleon's mistakes. Hitler himself was especially worried about the possibility of an early and cold Napoleon-like winter. He therefore organised a workshop with participants from the German High Command and leading German meteorologists. On the background of global warming experienced since 1920, however, the general opinion was that the risk of a very cold winter was relatively little......"

A sudden frost in late October cemented one of the German 6th Panzer Division's crippled panzer columns in frozen mud, and it never again moved. For the still operational units, however, the frost once again made mobile operations possible, and the German Army resumed the advance towards Moscow. Blizzards and the increasing cold, however, made the conditions for the ordinary German line divisions verging on the impossible. Many of the German soldiers were without any clothing to supplement their uniforms except denim combat overalls. The impact of the cold was intensified by the complete absence of shelter; the ground was impossible hard to dig, and most of the buildings had been destroyed in the fighting or burned by the retreating Russians. The engines of the German Panzers and other vehicles has to be run more or less continuously, in order to protect them from freezing. The state of the German fuel supplies rapidly became wretched.

Hard Russian resistance and the cold winter finally brought Operation Barbarossa to a halt in the vicinity of Moscow, early December 1941. On 2 December 1941, the German 5th Panzer Division had penetrated to within 14 km from Moscow and 24 km from Kremlin, standing at the villages Dmitrov and Jokroma shortly north of the city. At that time the Wehrmacht was still not equipped for winter warfare. Just like in Napoleon's campaign, frostbite and disease now caused more casualties than combat. Some of the German divisions were now at only fifty percent strength. The bitter cold also caused severe problems for their guns and equipment, and weather conditions grounded the Luftwaffe, to make a difficult supply situation worse.

General Raus, who was rapidly earning himself a reputation as one of the German army's foremost tacticians of armoured warfare, recorded the daily mean temperature near Moscow during the first part of December 1941 as follows: 1 December -7oC, 2 December -6oC, 3 December -9oC, 4 December -36oC, 5 December -37oC, 6 December -37oC, 7 December -6oC, 8 December -8oC. Later in December temperatures again fell to no less than -45oC, and General Raus's 6th Panzer Division reported moderate and severe frostbite cases at the rate of 800 per day. The lowest temperature reported during the entire Russian campaign was -53oC, measured northwest of Moscow on 26 January.

Just when the sudden temperature drop in early December 1941, was beginning to take its toll among the German soldiers still in need of proper winter equipment, the Red Army on the 5th of December launched a massive counterattack on the Moscow front with fresh divisions just arrived from Siberia. The Wehrmacht was pushed back from Moscow. Also the operations near Leningrad further to the northwest were severely affected by the extraordinary cold conditions. Hitler himself for the first time expressed the opinion that it perhaps would be impossible to defeat the USSR. Never again would the German Wehrmacht be able to take the offensive along the entire eastern front.

(Colorized by Irootoko jr from Japan)
http://blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/

Archived