Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zortty

The Real 16AA

I only happened to stumble a cross this website when watching videos on you-tube about Arma 3 and to expand my knowledge. 

It is weird to see what I was actually apart of in the "real" world been used here, not even just the name but the actual flash as well. 

If I am honest, I am unsure if I should be mad, laugh or be honoured. I see you pay tribute to fallen and current men and women of the British forces, but to see what we actually do, dumb down in to a game...That's the part that's the part that gets me.

Not been a troll, just thought I'd share. Flame all you wish or don't. Not really bothered. Enjoy.

You're welcome to share, but at least a third if not more of the group is ex or serving military, including the 'real' 16th Air Assault.

16th Air Assault.

He's going to rip your head off for that  :D

But yes, i've been here for almost 6 years, and in that time i've seen a fair few real life 16AA guys in the ranks. I'd say at least 30% of our members have some real life military experience.

He's going to rip your head off for that  :D

What this guy said^^  :D  

I'd like to clear up it isn't that I think this is terrible. I have looked all over the forums and can actually say it is nice to see a community on a game the honours fallen personnel and such.

It was just... weird seeing the eagle as the emblem for a gaming community. 

With the technology currently available any attempt to simulate anything for the commercial market is going to be dumbed down: We do what we can with the tech available keeping in mind that this is a game after all. I am fairly confident that if VR/Augmented Reality really kicks off there will be people trying to play Arma with a bergen full of rocks on their back for 'realism'. ;)

People have been playing soldiers since the first kid picked up a stick and thought it looked like a spear; this being 2017 we do that with computers. Most of the community have some association with the forces. Depending on their location that may be family members who have served, national service in their respective countries or they may have served themselves. Everyone has a lot of respect for those who do serve.

People generally emulate what they admire and airborne operations have always had that panache to them; British para's in particular having a long colourful history. Having said that like most airborne troops these days we seem to do a lot more walking than jumping......

Mac

Pfffff piss I'm on my shitty autocorrecting phone, I live in Colchester anyway.

It is a gaming community, but it's importantly a milsim thing, think of it more as sort of virtual reenactment thing. It's not too dissimilar from ww2 reenactors if you get what I mean (obviously not that same thing, but closest comparison I could make).

With the technology currently available any attempt to simulate anything for the commercial market is going to be dumbed down: We do what we can with the tech available keeping in mind that this is a game after all. I am fairly confident that if VR/Augmented Reality really kicks off there will be people trying to play Arma with a bergen full of rocks on their back for 'realism'. ;)

Mac

You can up that even more: a car battery, a USB controlled switch das closes the circuit everytime you're hit in game and the eletrodes connected to your men-parts. Helps to simulate parts of the stress and fear of the real stuff :-P