Arksey

L85A3

So what they mean is.......... we are the first with an L85A2  with the new handgrip and picatinny rail on the upper housing!

There is some small fixes and welding techniques ussed most notably the upper receiver and stamped A3. Other than that it’s basically what dennett said.

I wouldn't worry. Knowing our armed forces I wouldn't expect the 16AA to equipped with the A3 until 2022.

1 hour ago, Cpl Scarle said:

Its a big ol waste of fucking money is what it is. 

Isn't this what the armed forces does best though? I know the swedish payed for a prototype APC with twin 120mm mortars to be built, cost millions, decieded we didn't need it. Massive loss.

now a couple years later we do need it, so they are developing a new system for millions again... waste

Nowt wrong with the bloody SLR. But NOOOOO...we got to use the 5.56 cause everyone else wants to and it aint cool to blow off limbs if you hit someone inna arm.

16 minutes ago, LCpl Dahl said:

Isn't this what the armed forces does best though? I know the swedish payed for a prototype APC with twin 120mm mortars to be built, cost millions, decieded we didn't need it. Massive loss.

now a couple years later we do need it, so they are developing a new system for millions again... waste

Not if you are the guy developing the new prototype that your mate in the Govt gave you for a percentage B-)

1 hour ago, Pte Krauser said:

Hey my old section got the first rollout! Nice! :D

That's because they aren't trusted out of London so wont get it dirty

Same regiment that had to be sent to learn martial arts cause they are "not aggressive enough". I would of thought yelling at pushy American tourists all day would of done that, but hey-ho.

Why we dont just scrap the SA80 and go for an M4 platform that does the same job and is about a third the weight I dont know..

6 minutes ago, Pte Willis said:

Why we dont just scrap the SA80 and go for an M4 platform that does the same job and is about a third the weight I dont know..

Contract with H&K

1 hour ago, Pte Willis said:

Costs more to role out an entirely new weapon platform that it does to update a currently in use one.

Can someone explain why there's a dislike for the L85? Why would you prefer a carbine rifle over a bullpup one? The L85 has around the same length, weights only .8 of a Kg more and a has higher muzzle velocity and effective firing range. The A2 fixed a lot of the jamming issues and, the grip being closer to the barrel, is arguably easier to control than a carbine. The 416 is expensive to produce, from my understanding, to boot. Am I wrong? 

The A3 looks ugly, though. A2 was a sexy beast.

Edited by Rec Worrall

1 minute ago, Pte Meadows said:

More than one is normal right?

yes meadows, yes it is.

Besides the a3 is a complete different rifle. The hand guard and gas parts are different. Better slide for the bolt and bolt carrier. And the pesky selecter switch has been addressed. If you want the old and bold option there’s always the sharpshooter. 

I don't see many soldiers complaining when they use it. 

The weight makes it a very accurate weapon, as the weight counteracts the uplift of the rifle when fired. I mean, soldiers get the options to use a bloody sling with it to make it easier to carry and they hardly bloody use it. Look at the Americans which always use the sling for their M4s haha.

The L85 is a great weapon, and just because the Americans use an M4 doesn't mean we should. The bloody Australians use an AUG.