Sign in to follow this  
Johnsen

Best of 16AA / Nostalgia

A few of us were sitting around looking through some old footage from the ArmA 2 and early ArmA 3 days and I found myself lamenting that a bunch of these great memories are stowed away in rarely seen youtube channels. It would be nice to have a central repository for highlights and trips down memory lane so feel free to post your best stuff. Time-codes are encouraged for long videos. I hope they can serve as inspiration (or warning :P) for newer members as well.

It was not particularly realistic I guess, but hunting for mines and IEDs and then blowing them up was a key gameplay factor for a while.

However, they were also a huge risk.

One of those twists that only work when it's unexpected, and in this case was used to great effect. We were ostensibly in home rotation, doing NAVEX / Section Night Patrol training when our base of operations comes under attack by hostile forces. Our communication systems compromised the company goes dark, with each section stranded on their own they make their way towards a form up point, avoiding the advancing enemy along the way, and not quite knowing what they're going to find at the end of their journey.

Night-vision was not all that great back then either. Also, Millar as a Pte :P

The shooty was shoot

Sometimes too shoot...

1-1 Poetry.

Edited by Pte Johnsen

That Close Shave one was on Forseti, my operation. I decided that our IED's used in previous campaigns looked a bit booboo. So I spent some time in the editor coming up with what you see there. What I did was have a 105mm shell explode, but about a ft under the ground. The effect was that lots of dust and shit got thrown in the air, but the damage actually thrown out was significantly reduced to what it should of been.

This one is the one I was most proud of. Using scripting alone I pulled this one off. Basically I noticed during the first part of ops when people load in, they bimble about not paying attention...so I sprang this.

I had a group of insurgents attack the base from the hill opposite the base, this was mainly a distraction for my real plan. I used a small truck to rush the gate with an IED. As you can see the truck didnt make it to the gate, but still exploded, a factor I also included in my script. Scared the shit out of some people and it worked perfectly.

Both those were brilliant, Scarle! I don't think I ever heard about the buried-bomb technique, so that's a nice trick to put in the bag.

Dude I still have the script and everything left over from Forseti, I'll throw you a mission on VR with it all in.

This is a top quality thread! I feel like I've been doing this for a while by now... and then I see all these ancient videos :D 

4 years I've been here, and I still feel like the new kid on the block sometimes (reference game on point)... 

fun to see some of the old names I still remember though

Edited by LCpl Dahl

Some times you just gotta go full-retard.

I don't even recall what justified that amount of ordinance, but I'm certain there was at least one bad guy down there.

God! I miss the audio and sounds from arma 2, they were so much more realistic.

This thread is nostalgia at its finest! 

Back in the MERT days our first survivor using CMS. 

2 minutes ago, Pte Howard said:

This thread is nostalgia at its finest! 

Back in the MERT days our first survivor using CMS. 

But no grass! I say. 

Great seeing mert storming into action and immediately treating patients while firefight is going on - including a young Pte Silbot. That whole casevac chain is fantastic when addon assets, script functionality, and people training converge.

That vid Howard, is the reason I joined the 16AA. heard some shit about the unit somewhere and just youtubed it. That came up and as I watched it I knew I needed to join. 4 years later I'm still impressed by the casevac chain. 

2 hours ago, Pte Knudsen said:

I don't even recall what justified that amount of ordinance, but I'm certain there was at least one bad guy down there.

I think I remember! We'd been trying to assault that town as GREENFOR, hugging those hills to the south of it and using the road and the compound as staging areas, but we'd taken loads of casualties out there. We did finally manage to get onto the walls surrounding the city and start advancing on our objective, but enemy reinforcements pushed us out. I think the bombing run was there to make sure nothing followed us out, but I guess it could have been simple revenge.

Edited by Pte Johnsen

Have to agree lads, loving this thread due to sheer memories. Even Howard's dodgy background music selection :D

There's a vid knocking around somewhere that i can't seem to locate of some casualties near the top of a ridge with a dominant rock feature, people working on the casualties and the remainder covering off as we were scrapping for our lives. Then an apache or 2 (not 100%) is just heard in the distance and starts blatting out towards the enemies position with a Chinook in tow meaning we were getting these lads out and the day was saved by the Flt lads. I'm not sure if this was towards the end of Paramo or on one of the Bright Dawn ops but you just knew that you were in the best place to be doing what we do.

I know that we had an influx of people join when that vid was released but for the life of me can't find it.

These videos are epic!! I’m loosing it. The old Ace medical! Having to actually stabilise casualties, the old don’t give adrenaline in the field etc! 

7 hours ago, Cpl Scarle said:

This one is the one I was most proud of.

As well you should be. I love that "stand to!" and then people rushing to defensive positions and shots ringing out. I'm sure it was done in other theaters, but it's very evocative of Syria now.

Found it!

One of my favourite moments of Flt and the medical treatment given on the ground. The Chinny even pulled a pinnacle landing!

1 hour ago, LCpl Dahl said:

Isnt that one of makinens vids? 

Yes he has all of Forseti on his channel amongst many others

30 minutes ago, Lt Boothroyd said:

Found it!

One of my favourite moments of Flt and the medical treatment given on the ground. The Chinny even pulled a pinnacle landing!

Jesus I'd forgotten how severe the mod screams were! But that was a brilliant video. One of the busiest CCPs ever.

@51 minutes, another case of long range radio across 20 meters.

There was a Europa mission, I think maybe the first one, where we took contact during approach to airfield to our NE. I only remember the feeling of complete lack of control, as everyone got shot over and over again. Not a good feeling as a campaign maker when the first mission on a new operation ends up too difficult!

15 minutes ago, Pte Jakobsen said:

Not a good feeling as a campaign maker when the first mission on a new operation ends up too difficult!

Yet, the randomness of AI led to something very memorable!

I think it's interesting to note just how much more busy our comms were back then. I remember we spent a long time just after we switched to ArmA 3 retraining the entire company to ease up on the comms. There's some pretty cute stuff in there, but by god it was hard to keep up with.

Edited by Pte Johnsen

53 minutes ago, Lt Boothroyd said:

Found it!

That was my happiest moment as IC Flight just hearing/seeing the reaction in this video. There’s a video from Aposky when we flew 3 Apaches on Centurion! 

Wonder if there are any videos from Sterling/Gryphon knocking about? Someone had a good video from Minotaur on Namalsk with lots of Griffin helicopters and fast roping! 

5 hours ago, Pte Knudsen said:

Some times you just gotta go full-retard.

Also I think our orders were to crush the opposition but as the Nuristani army! 

I remember the apache flying on Centurion because i flew one of them. 

The only Flt thing i personally remember in Gryphon was a JDAM being dialled in by TACP on a friendly position and you could hear the guys running for their lives once they knew about it. The pilot just dropped it where he was told and it did produce a nice boom. There's a vid from the HQ perspective of that around too.

12 minutes ago, Lt Boothroyd said:

I remember the apache flying on Centurion because i flew one of them. 

The only Flt thing i personally remember in Gryphon was a JDAM being dialled in by TACP on a friendly position and you could hear the guys running for their lives once they knew about it. The pilot just dropped it where he was told and it did produce a nice boom. There's a vid from the HQ perspective of that around too.

Did it look something like this?

monty-python-run-away-small.jpg

Sign in to follow this