Sign in to follow this  
Johnsen

Best of 16AA / Nostalgia

Frozen Lake VI is a bit special to me.

We wanted a very particular atmosphere and build up during that particular OP, it required that very-little happened in the opening hour of the OP,
Giving the company room to establish it self at the outskirts of Berezino.

The idea was to have the sections explore various war-crimes at the outskirts of the town hopefully getting a mixture of unease yet light boredom into people. Not enough that you would out-right start browsing reddit, but enough that you would give into the temptation of looking around inside buildings rather than covering arches etc. - At which point a major ambush primary from nearby roofs would spring on the Company, followed by an attack from the main part of Berezino.

Yet, anyone who attended the OP would likely remember that wasn't exactly what happened, the hour of 'silence' was followed by, well nothing. - the AI script (UPSMON) never initialized due to a fuckup in the mission init file.
A restart at that stage wasn't possible, it would require rework of the mission file, changing it from its original intend to something more hectic from the get-go.  Something that would require more than 3-5 minutes of work.

It was therefore up to three of us (OPFOR/GREENFOR/CIV players) to take on the role of what was just around a Company size worth of AI. - Our job originally had simply been to use hidden teleports to act as civilians in-case the company got static, role playing informants that would lead the company back on track.
I don't think a lot of people realize that there were in fact never more than 3 active OPFOR shooters at any point during that OP.

This thread is truley the old boys club here... I want to post some of those nostalgic OPs I attended, glasshouse (the one where we did S&R for the american pilot and shit hit the fan BIG time), hurricane (close quarters hell), brigandine (first campaign as A/LCpl)... but it feels to recent compared to the old stuff you lot post :D 

7 minutes ago, LCpl Dahl said:

This thread is truley the old boys club here... I want to post some of those nostalgic OPs I attended, glasshouse (the one where we did S&R for the american pilot and shit hit the fan BIG time), hurricane (close quarters hell), brigandine (first campaign as A/LCpl)... but it feels to recent compared to the old stuff you lot post :D 

My first campaign was Glasshouse.
If anyones got any cool early Arma 3 stuff that'd be sweet to see!
I think it's been 4 years since you guys did the switch-er-roo upgrade from 2 to 3

It is and that's still old-scholl and a part of our history/ legacy.

Post up things as recent as possible, if it's a moment you love and you'd like to share then it's good enough for this thread in my opinion!

8 minutes ago, Plt Off Clayton said:

My first campaign was Glasshouse.
If anyones got any cool early Arma 3 stuff that'd be sweet to see!
I think it's been 4 years since you guys did the switch-er-roo upgrade from 2 to 3

There was that sweet/sour period right after the transition, where A3 was not fleshed out with the proper creature comforts and network support. The swaggy walk was one thing, but even tactical guns-raised movement felt almost like a cheap playthrough of Slenderman (see for instance https://youtu.be/eWCvMogI7yc?t=7m52s - it's awful). Worst of all was the desync. I don't know when that stuff cleared, but I remember my 'departing' campaign before master thesis being Op Condor. That was the most miserable experience I have had as a campaign maker. And as an IC, since my net connection was awful too. It was probably awful for everyone else too. Crushed my spirits and I was just happy I had a solid RL excuses to be doing other stuff.

So everyone can link what they want, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are very few vids from that year we switched to A3.

2 hours ago, Pte Chelton said:

Did it look something like this?

monty-python-run-away-small.jpg

It was a lot worse.. I wasn't even a pilot then but got to see the LGB smack into the hill! 

Just you 'noobs' remember how good you've got it! 

Yeah, the transition to ArmA 3 was tough for some people, me included. A big factor was that the balance of the game changed completely, with center mass shots doing pretty much fuck all to enemies when we were used to one well-aimed shot taking someone down. The accuracy of the vanilla ArmA 3 AI at the start was also radically different from ACE + ArmA 2, with first-shot accuracy being pretty brutal. Lots of sour grapes about suddenly being shot in the head through bushes from far away.

Graphic fidelity was definitely way up, but it was not quite the performance boost we'd been promised, and I wonder if the improvements we did see were not mostly just us having to start again with a vastly reduced mod pack. The love for ArmA 2 is not only rose-tinted glasses, we really did have a mod setup that made ArmA 3 a bit of a hard sell. Frankly, for some of us, for years...

That said, there were a bunch of really good moments in ArmA 3 too, and I encourage people to post some. For me personally, that early ArmA 3 period was where I did most of my stint as 1IC of 1-1, and the era of Ege, Telford and MacDonald rival even Jakobsens reign.

Too bad I can only find videos of my less awesome decisions, and not that epic assault 1-1 did on the bunker staffed by either Hicks or Emmet :P

The mini Campaign that Lipton made, I made this mission with a nice little intro that still excites me to the day. 

HALO jump in another Unit mission

Helicopter take down on I think Minotaur? 

Riesling my life to save Emmets. Something that became a regular thing on Minotaur. 

Reay killing a hind, with a Javelin! 

Slick drills. 

But sometimes they weren’t enough to save us. 

Having to endex because we got such a pasting in this one possibly Jakobsens mission? He has always been renowned for destroying companies ;) 

We had a thing about enemy armour in 2/2. 

11 minutes ago, Pte Johnsen said:

Yeah, the transition to ArmA 3 was tough for some people, me included. A big factor was that the balance of the game changed completely, with center mass shots doing pretty much fuck all to enemies when we were used to one well-aimed shot taking someone down. The accuracy of the vanilla ArmA 3 AI at the start was also radically different from ACE + ArmA 2, with first-shot accuracy being pretty brutal. Lots of sour grapes about suddenly being shot in the head through bushes from far away.

Graphic fidelity was definitely way up, but it was not quite the performance boost we'd been promised, and I wonder if the improvements we did see were not mostly just us having to start again with a vastly reduced mod pack. The love for ArmA 2 is not only rose-tinted glasses, we really did have a mod setup that made ArmA 3 a bit of a hard sell. Frankly, for some of us, for years...

That said, there were a bunch of really good moments in ArmA 3 too, and I encourage people to post some. For me personally, that early ArmA 3 period was where I did most of my stint as 1IC of 1-1, and the era of Ege, Telford and MacDonald rival even Jakobsens reign.

Too bad I can only find videos of my less awesome decisions, and not that epic assault 1-1 did on the bunker staffed by either Hicks or Emmet :P

The problem with A2 was that we were pushing it as hard as we were, a single mission took a good 7-9 hours of editor work, followed by the work during the OP to just keep it running smooth.

It took a lot of effort to keep things as stable as they were, and it simply wasn't realistic to keep doing things the way we did.
So our options was either to scale back and not rely on RLC/REME as much as we did, or move to A3 which honestly, was performing better in the areas concerning RLC and REME.

The last mission of Frozen Lake was a good example of what happens when we weren't on the ball, it just crashed 2/3s of the way through the OP, and that was honestly because we went fuck you to A2.. The work just wasn't put into that one to keep it as per normal.

Yeah, armor was a pretty big thing in a bunch of campaigns. Big risk, but big reward.  Evans and I had an AT4 rivalry/bond. We kept score in a spreadsheet and got quite good with those things.

26 minutes ago, Pte Knudsen said:

The problem with A2 was that we were pushing it as hard as we were, a single mission took a good 7-9 hours of editor work, followed by the work during the OP to just keep it running smooth.

It took a lot of effort to keep things as stable as they were, and it simply wasn't realistic to keep doing things the way we did.
So our options was either to scale back and not rely on RLC/REME as much as we did, or move to A3 which honestly, was performing better in the areas concerning RLC and REME.

The last mission of Frozen Lake was a good example of what happens when we weren't on the ball, it just crashed 2/3s of the way through the OP, and that was honestly because we went fuck you to A2.. The work just wasn't put into that one to keep it as per normal.

Damn did the work show though. I mean, when those missions went off without a hitch they could be absolutely magical, and the uncertainty of what could happen really added to it. Also, we were absolutely huge back then. I think I counted 86 people on the server during one of those last A2 missions. That could not have helped matters. Did everyone make it across or did we lose people? I can't remember.

Of course, I'm not arguing we should not have moved, that would serve absolutely no purpose. Just adding some more context to Jakobsens post, which I guess is what you're doing too.

I too remember those operations when things went awry and there was nothing you could do. Cost of doing business, I guess. Frozen Lake remains interesting to me. It was plagued by technical issues, but in context it was also a pretty darn cool send-off for ArmA 2. Even the very last operation, which is a full on cold-war era soviet invasion and then slowly degenerates into teleporting or frozen tanks feels somehow fitting now. Like, it's literally a moment frozen in time. :D

Does anyone have that clip where 1 platoon is in the hills of afghanistan and the sun is setting, we're out of AT and we're being stalked by two BTRs while trying to get to the extract? I think we even tried laying mines and stuff for it?

Edited by Pte Johnsen

I think having Distaff we have lost some of that Finesse and perfectionism that we used to have during operations. 

That feeling as a mission maker where you know if it if it pulls off it’ll be magical but one slight miscript with upsmon and it was game over. 

I don’t know if I miss how tense that was. 

Can't remember what campaign it was. Where we were all just stepping off on the mission when enemy planes flew over and threw about 50 odd enemy paratroopers out directly over our heads?

I'm guessing that's the sort of wierd shit that happened in Arma 2 you're talking about. 

:D

53 minutes ago, Pte Howard said:

I think having Distaff we have lost some of that Finesse and perfectionism that we used to have during operations. 

That feeling as a mission maker where you know if it if it pulls off it’ll be magical but one slight miscript with upsmon and it was game over. 

I don’t know if I miss how tense that was. 

RLC are not mission makers anymore. The very small amount of us that are actually asked to do something are simply window dressers nowadays.

28 minutes ago, Pte Johnsen said:

Damn did the work show though. I mean, when those missions went off without a hitch they could be absolutely magical, and the uncertainty of what could happen really added to it. Also, we were absolutely huge back then. I think I counted 86 people on the server during one of those last A2 missions. That could not have helped matters. Did everyone make it across or did we lose people? I can't remember.

Of course, I'm not arguing we should not have moved, that would serve absolutely no purpose. Just adding some more context to Jakobsens post, which I guess is what you're doing too.

I too remember those operations when things went awry and there was nothing you could do. Cost of doing business, I guess. Frozen Lake remains interesting to me. It was plagued by technical issues, but in context it was also a pretty darn cool send-off for ArmA 2. Even the very last operation, which is a full on cold-war era soviet invasion and then slowly degenerates into teleporting or frozen tanks feels somehow fitting now. Like, it's literally a moment frozen in time. :D

Does anyone have that clip where 1 platoon is in the hills of afghanistan and the sun is setting, we're out of AT and we're being stalked by two BTRs while trying to get to the extract? I think we even tried laying mines and stuff for it?

Are you talking about Andromeda VI? That was an intense and fun op, and one of the first times we were suppressed by tanks and IFVs at long range. We were tasked to take a settlement with bridge where enemy army had stored considerable supplies.

Makinen's videos:

#1/4: Beginning is boring, skip to 15-20 minutes in. At the end I am my usual patient self. Johnsen and I share some tactical considerations. Video has an impeccable fade to death on tragedy, best ending ever.

#2/4: Push east across the riverbed and hold it. As the sections moved up into the buildings on the slope, pockets of resistance hurt our movement. (so much of these videos is casualty clearance, jesus christ). The video ends to the sound of recce by UGL.

#3/4: Darkness descends, and you'd think the poorly equipped army we were fighting would be deterred by that. But no. After the infantry in the town was cleared, enemy armoured elements had parked themselves a good mile down the river valley and began lobbing MG and cannon fire into the settlement. I was well proud of that script. After the tanks had softened the defenses, enemy mech inf tried to close the distance under cover of darkness. A coy blows the enemy supplies before trying to depart. Operative word being trying.

#4/4: the crescendo I hadn't quite planned when I made the mission. Pte Oliver, optimistic at one point during the firefight after no more AT can be found, remarks "16aa is gona die". 

Was that the op were we had BRDMs and vics driving around the chinooks when we were extracting? It was definitely one in Andromeda.

In A3, Dark Forest with GTA Velky Folkmar. I wish Morris would be able to get the image back but that was so agonising but fun at the same time.

I joined during the Home Rotation before Op Stirling I believe.

4 hours ago, Pte Johnsen said:

Yeah, armor was a pretty big thing in a bunch of campaigns. Big risk, but big reward.  Evans and I had an AT4 rivalry/bond. We kept score in a spreadsheet and got quite good with those things.

Was you doing that around the time that occurred? How much did that round that took out the mosque and caused us various casualties cost Evans in your spreadsheet? :D

Edited by Pte Oliver

Jesus that minaretdisaster was hilarious. Imagine if someone did that in chromite. It’s be all out war. :lol::lol:

i fucking miss those days. Feels like a different game. 

Well it was an different game.

I do not miss them that much to be honest. Sure there are some good moments, members, etcetera to remember about fondly from our past. The section I've been in has seen fantastic leaders also. But the manner in which the unit carries out each missions has on balance done nothing but improved, at least I consider that to be my perspective, and would not trade that. When was the last time ugly shot up the wrong persons? Such incidents with the units on ground are now also less common I reckon? I would cringe to return to the manner in which I seem to remember our section sometimes dealt with IED's that we encountered to be honest. I seem to remember that treating casualties even though under contact was more common also, were better at AEET now I think.

Good nostalgia but that's it.

Now then whom can find footage showing Silbot launching what he thought was an smoke grenade into an rioting crowd. ;)

Edited by Pte Oliver

4 hours ago, Pte Oliver said:

Was you doing that around the time that occurred? How much did that round that took out the mosque and caused us various casualties cost Evans in your spreadsheet? :D

I'm pretty sure blue-on-blue counted double...

Anyway, if you like that classic moment here it is from Evans's viewpoint:

5 hours ago, Pte Oliver said:

Good nostalgia but that's it.

It varies. Comms have definitely improved unit-wide. I think the hottest 1-1 ever was drill-wise was a few years into the ArmA 3 era when we were pretty much all experienced NCO's and were doing off-night sections training pretty much every week and playing a bunch of liberation, but that does not mean the ArmA 2 days were any less fun really, it was just a slightly different mentality. Also, a bunch of this stuff has gone in cycles, or are totally subjective evaluations to begin with. Like, I think we're more well-organized ORBAT-wise now than we've been in the greater half of a decade, yet others probably miss the likes of D-Squadron. No point in arguing what's better, but if people do see stuff in these videos that they like and want to try to bring back, putting in (the substantial) effort of making campaigns like these could be a starting point.

Speaking of Flight. It's interesting to see how way back in the day they were pretty much the entirety of support platoon rolled into one. The following is a rather long clip, but you've got Flight juggling a lot of logistics and medical stuff while flying. Really busy.

Edited by Pte Johnsen

I know some people are grumpy about coms procedures now, but just listen to how many ‘how copy?’ And ‘solid copy’ tgere are in the ol vids :D 

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online