Sign in to follow this  
Johnsen

Best of 16AA / Nostalgia

9 hours ago, Lt Boothroyd said:

Was that the op were we had BRDMs and vics driving around the chinooks when we were extracting? It was definitely one in Andromeda.

In A3, Dark Forest with GTA Velky Folkmar. I wish Morris would be able to get the image back but that was so agonising but fun at the same time.

Yes, see video #4, gets hairier by the minute. Fortunately they were mtlbs.

11 hours ago, Pte Howard said:

Having to endex because we got such a pasting in this one possibly Jakobsens mission? He has always been renowned for destroying companies ;) 

No I can't take any credit for that. I believe that was one of Cage's missions. My dissatisfaction I remember lead to my least worthwhile post ever on the NCO forum, which I am fairly ashamed about.

@Dahl: Comms have gotten a lot better! Not least because I'm no longer on them!

1 minute ago, Pte Jakobsen said:

Not least because I'm no longer on them!

Oh I don't know about that mate, I still remember when I was but a young FNG Pte in 1/3 and me and Makinen talked to you in Glasshouse I, I don't remember the exact words, but I think it was something along the lines of "JÄÄÄÄÄÄÄVLAAAAAAAR" shouted across the entire town we were in... I can see that having a place on our strict, boring coms ;)

1 hour ago, Pte Jakobsen said:

No I can't take any credit for that. I believe that was one of Cage's missions. My dissatisfaction I remember lead to my least worthwhile post ever on the NCO forum, which I am fairly ashamed about.

@Dahl: Comms have gotten a lot better! Not least because I'm no longer on them!

Yes your right!! The end of paramo!! 

2 hours ago, LCpl Dahl said:

I know some people are grumpy about coms procedures now, but just listen to how many ‘how copy?’ And ‘solid copy’ tgere are in the ol vids :D 

Cause that was the radio procedure back then. 

Looking back to 2011 when I joined, I have seen some stuff change for the better, some for the worse.

DISTAFF has added an element to the game we couldn't produce in A2. But with its introduction a shite load of skills have been lost. 

BIS have become super greedy smashing out DLC content that is, in my eyes utter garbage. I feel the whole "It's the future" was a cop out to save them researching anything. "Just leave it to the community to fix our shit"  has become the norm.

I miss my old buddies too. You don't realise the bond you make with some people, even online and then poof they are gone. 

2 hours ago, Cpl Scarle said:

Cause that was the radio procedure back then. 

Oh? I had no idea, I just remember that it was a massive point when I did signals back before my JNCO course that there was absolutely no solid copies. 

55 minutes ago, LCpl Dahl said:

Oh? I had no idea, I just remember that it was a massive point when I did signals back before my JNCO course that there was absolutely no solid copies. 

I mean, it's not all that long since we stopped saying "lima charlie" either. :D

FORSETI was an interesting campaign. PARAMO has taken on an almost legendary status after being the first really immersive COIN campaign, and a lot of campaigns have tried to replicate that experience with mixed results. FORSETI took a slightly different approach. Instead of having just a couple of PBs in a very dense environment like in PARAMO, every section got their own PB kind of like what we're doing in CHROMITE. The terrain had a lot of gentle slopes, but generally our PBs were situated in the high ground so we could observe movement in the valley and almost mutually support each other with the GPMGs. I think it remains the only COIN campaign where fighting from within the PBs have been a thing, and in general it featured quite a lot of action against enemies that were suprisingly hard to spot in such a barren environment. IEDs seemed to go off more readily than before and I also remember it as having more observation of civilian traffic than in PARAMO, so I think it definitely deserves credit for having added to the 16AA COIN formula.

In the start of this video you can see the aforementioned GPMG action from the viewpoint of the 1-1 PB. You'll also hear us comment on how we'd drawn the short end of the stick activity-wise for the first few operations in this campaign, but keep watching because that is about to change quite radically. Skip to 22 minutes to see us start our move towards a target compound, using some way too long bounds in awful terrain down a slope. Love the aggression once things kick off though.

Edited by Pte Johnsen

Thanks Johnsen. Funnily enough Cage was my tutor in mission making. I clearly remember him spending an entire evening with myself and Knuddy teaching us how to best use UPSMON and other bits and pieces. I learnt all my little tricks from him and what he used in Paramo and implemented them in Forseti with my own added extras.

1 hour ago, Pte Johnsen said:

FORSETI was an interesting campaign. PARAMO has taken on an almost legendary status after being the first really immersive COIN campaign, and a lot of campaigns have tried to replicate that experience with mixed results. FORSETI took a slightly different approach. Instead of having just a couple of PBs in a very dense environment like in PARAMO, every section got their own PB kind of like what we're doing in CHROMITE. The terrain had a lot of gentle slopes, but generally our PBs were situated in the high ground so we could observe movement in the valley and almost mutually support each other with the GPMGs. I think it remains the only COIN campaign where fighting from within the PBs have been a thing, and in general it featured quite a lot of action against enemies that were suprisingly hard to spot in such a barren environment. IEDs seemed to go off more readily than before and I also remember it as having more observation of civilian traffic than in PARAMO, so I think it definitely deserves credit for having added to the 16AA COIN formula.

In the start of this video you can see the aforementioned GPMG action from the viewpoint of the 1-1 PB. You'll also hear us comment on how we'd drawn the short end of the stick activity-wise for the first few operations in this campaign, but keep watching because that is about to change quite radically. Skip to 22 minutes to see us start our move towards a target compound, using some way too long bounds in awful terrain down a slope. Love the aggression once things kick off though.

Watching that back, how come people don't call numbers boarded anymore? 

It is done, you're just too busy with your pre-flights to notice maybe? Not had too many ops were we all board up recently so that may be another factor but it's definitely done and passed up with myself or Silbo as last man on and it's shouted out to your crew.

This will be my last post for a while, because I honestly feel like I'm spamming the forums at this point, but I have to post one of the best GREENFOR operations I've seen recorded. Unfortunately, I could not make this particular night, but I know it is a dear memory to many a 1-1 member. Keep in mind, there's a bit of trolling of BLUEFOR HQ in this as people were taking the role-play quite seriously, but it was all meant in good spirit.

^ Werewolf is still one of my favourite campaigns here. I don't know if it's because it was my first full campaign but it definitely stands out.

Interestingly Cobalt (relatively recent campaign) is right up there as well. That was the first campaign with the forklift :D

Images speak a thousand of words.

49F6A65E1B0919D7354993C61D907F103517F0E2

6th August 2012

5A61EE1FF3D94A6A5BC3A31FF979FE149ADB4DBA

10 October 2012

C8B5D59810911A393CEF619A73B9F673B5EB5EE7

Op Minotaur 8 November 2012

3FCD28FB24AF2A5644051BAF0AD3B551C1E0DAD3

2013/2014

BkEAkF3CMAA1x-h.jpg:large

ArmA 2 farewell. March 2014

5158B3A119E2FE3455F763DBA214760AC147F0A3

7 May 2014

And something special

39512ADE22BEC8F82907A86712658A6CEB4516EA

Early ArmA 3 addon testing with Cage and Knuddie - I miss you guys! :)

1-3 Charlie signing out.

On 14/03/2018 at 6:34 PM, Pte Johnsen said:

This will be my last post for a while, because I honestly feel like I'm spamming the forums at this point, but I have to post one of the best GREENFOR operations I've seen recorded. Unfortunately, I could not make this particular night, but I know it is a dear memory to many a 1-1 member. Keep in mind, there's a bit of trolling of BLUEFOR HQ in this as people were taking the role-play quite seriously, but it was all meant in good spirit.

This was one of the ones done after I left for the birth of my daughter. She is five this summer

1 hour ago, Cpl Scarle said:

This was one of the ones done after I left for the birth of my daughter. She is five this summer

Just a few more and she'll be clearing IEDs ingame with her da!

On 14.3.2018 at 8:41 PM, Pte Cage said:

If you are looking for nostalgia, this has a place here;

First campaign OP for 1/3.

Baker, Moffat, Harlow /o\ oh the memories.

I remember Werewolf as one of the most brutal ever. The trees had guns indeed.

Ok, time for some "new" nostalgia:

My first ever live OP, Makinen called me "AT-gunner"... whoever cares what the new Ptes name is? 

(Tbf he did learn my name durig the OP...)

Probably one of the most intense OPs I've ever been on... we rescued a downed US pilot and had to leg it like fuck. Tanks, APCs, I don't even know what chased us. It was scary as all hell. 

DON'T START SENTENCES WITH OH FUCK @Pte Oliver

and for good measure, let's throw in OP Brigandine, which was my first campaign as an NCO (A/LCpl of 1/3) no one in my section filmed it (to my knowledge) so you gotta make do with Sgt Makinen's POV. We got mega fucked the entire OP, and shortly after Makinen died my entire section got wiped out and I took my own life with a satchel charge, hoping I got at least two russians with me. If you're only gonna watch a couple of minutes of this one, you should watch the last couple minutes. 

Good times all around. 

God, I remember the start of Brigadine. Specifically, I remember 1/2 doing a Benny Hill with a BTR before Braddock tried to use a stinger to destroy it. Needless to say, we were all swiftly killed.

Brings back a lot of good memories hearing Wilson and Ellis on the radios.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online