Sign in to follow this  
Cpl Cullen

Applications for Fire Support Group (FSG)

TO: A Coy + attachments
SUBJECT: FSG Recruitment
PRIORITY: Routine

++++++++++++++++++++BEGINS++++++++++++++++++++

FSG are currently looking to recruit additional members to the section (I'd like at least 2, but realistically as many as @Lt Silbot lets me get away with).

Duties:

• Provide effective fire support to allow the Platoon infantry elements freedom of manoeuvre against the enemy.
  • Act as a force multiplier for infantry sections carrying out the Platoon objectives.
  • Work with infantry sections to provide direct or indirect fires as required.
  • Liaise with FST and other assets to ensure safe and appropriate use of artillery weapon systems.
  • Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

Essential Requirements:

• At least 2 months as Private or above.
  • Must be able to evidence good attendance record.
  • Ability to work and communicate well with others.

Desirable Skills:

• Working knowledge of FSG weapon systems (60mm / 81mm mortar, Javelin, GPMG, Drone, Long Rifle).

The key requirement for the role is to have a positive attitude and approach to delivering support to fulfil the objective / mission at hand.  Full training re-training on the weapon systems will be given during Home Rotations.

Candidates are to send a forum message to @LCpl Rabbit and myself, with a brief summary of any past relevant experience and a short synopsis of why you want to join FSG.

After an initial review of interest, next steps will be an invitation to a ride-along with FSG (either during an OP or during HR) to determine suitability for the role before taking on any successful applicants.

+++++++++++++++ENDS+++++++++++++++

For those interested, here's an insight from an ex-FSG member.

I spent most of my time before becoming 1/2 IC as a member of FSG back when it was larger and had the most senior members in the team. 

These guys were, and still are, a great set of dedicated folks who really take pride in the jobs they perform for the rest of us. FSG is somewhat a selfless assignment,  as you are mostly tasked with watching over the rest of the unit while they kick in doors and deal with a lot of contacts.

You will have moments where you will see the enemy well before the other sections, but you can't engage for fear of giving yourself and the company away or because the enemy are just too far away. 

That said, you will have amazing moments too which could land you in the unit's history books. I've performed assaults that pushed enemies back into friendly artillery with these guys with nothing but my pistol, and everyone else just letting loose with whatever they had. I've been a part of distraction flanks where we used Jackal vehicles to surprise and suppress the enemy so that the infantry could get out of the open during an assault.

When you join FSG, you're joining a team of tight-knit gents who look out for each-other at all times and you're never alone when you're a part of FSG. Just know that although you have the big toys and the big guns, that you will not always be shooting them and being the hero. And that you'll probably be the ammo bitch and the driver for the first few months until you get given your team nickname ;)

-Cpl "Pikey" Joyce

Sign in to follow this