Operations Chalice 5 the movie

Hones

Got a few questions :-)

Did you do the whole OP on foot? (I cycled through the scenes, found only "walking"...sorry, could not whatch the whole movie :-( )

From seeing the WNGO, these where 18-19km for the approach.

It was roughly 2.5/3km. The smaller squares are 100m. The very big ones are 1km by 1km. A bit later today I will post my own video, were in the end you can see the AO from the PB (our starting point). We were engaging with mortars over a distance of 2750 meters.

It was roughly 2.5/3km. The smaller squares are 100m. The very big ones are 1km by 1km. A bit later today I will post my own video, were in the end you can see the AO from the PB (our starting point). We were engaging with mortars over a distance of 2750 meters.

100x100m ok, understood...just got to look if I was overlooking the scale....;-)

edit: Nope, no scale. But the 1st Map picture should have made it clear *doh*

Looked relativly quite for 2/1 and 1/2.

Wish someone could record in 3 Sec, at the crossroads, Blue3 I think, I have never experienced anything as intense as that firefight. Enemies fireing on us, and popping up danger close, friendlies fireing into mountains and flanks around us *a bit too close at times ;) * and all behing a wall that didn't cover your head if you stood up with a bit of rubble behind us. Twas Epic.

range cards and a vector nite.

Check,

Is elevation correction modeled? (f.e. target is at height 245..the tube a 356)

Does the mortar have different charges? Or is the only one charge type used?

Do you have an FO(or the line units leaders) calling corrections? If yes, how does the mortar team calculate them?

Sounds pretty cool so far.

The indirect fires stuff was allways a pain in the ass for me! If you really go it full lenght for fun...then hats of sirs, I'd be impressed :-)

Elevation differences needs to be taken in account yes. There are 3 different charges for the mortar we use. We have our PLT Sgt calling in the fire missions and corrections.

We calculate it depending on the situation. The easiest one is when you have eyes on. You can use a vector nite for that and get most information you need. Other possibilities are using a DAGR (does not work on every map), or simply the map tools + math. The last one is the most used and also takes the most time, and over large distances it is the least accurate as well.

Sorry if I'm bugging you ;)

Lets say:

" X this is Y firecommand over..."

"Y this is X, firecommand, over..."

"X this is Y, grid 9876 7764, azimut 5700 to 5800, distance 400...troops in buildings...fire, I'll adjust...over"

"Y this is X...grid 9876 7764, azimut 5700 to 5800, distance 400...troops in buildings...shot, over"

==> do you have a maptool to cal. "Ys" add/drop...left/right commands?

If yes, can I see a piccy please :)

Range cards? Have you made your own based on ARMA? Or do you use range-card from real ammo types (this would mean they would have to be correctly modeled in ARMA)

A grid and target description gets called in. Everything else gets calculated by the Mortar IC/Commander. I will see if I can show you a few things later on.

Any news?

Well, I stole something from our us friends:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]543[/ATTACH]

Archived