Operation Coldharbour I

Morris

how is your graphics all nice and crisp? i got mines all on max and it doesnt look like that do you use some type of mod? or something

My ArmA 2 game looks the same as yours I believe. Those screenshots were photoshoped by me.

Lipton should be court marshalled XD.

Actually no, From watching both videos (1-3+1-2) you can see that both sections had time enough to PID two targets with long range rifles walking down the road. At one state the targets began to raise their weapons, yet we both did not engage.

As a matter of fact the firefight was started by a sniper shot comming from the left flank, at the time i believe it was the target with snipers engaging but now i believe 2-1 begun the firefight, So morris, waiting for you vid now xD

Yep, it starts at 1:10. Briggs was with Delta and moving, so it would be Bergheim of Charlie (w/Lipton) who opened fire unless another section lay very nearby. None of 2-1 have The L110A2, so that rules out Lipton's shameful insinuation that the blame could be laid on them.

No shots heard prior to 1-2's 1:10, so the RMP will have a field day with this. On 1-3's video (roughly 1:15) you hear a single shot from the friendly ranks, but it didn't sound like an LMG. Then there is initial confusion as to whether anyone has received fire.

Discussed this with Emmet next week, if a friendly shoots we cant assume that equals contact in this enviroment and restraint needs to be maintained until a contact report or enemy fire is incoming. Pte Makinen actually ND'd as the first shot at the ground, with an L110A1 and it instigated another Section to open up in force. 3 Sec will take the responsability for this one but it shows two things;

1) ND's are always a concern and its the first, and last, time this member has done it. Lesson learned.

2) People are far too fast to assume contact and need to await fire orders or here actual Incoming fire/REEF drills. Theres a fine line between, and obviously a close friendly fireing when enemies are spotted will easily cause chaos if we do not control our Sections. Assume no fireing, unless specifically ordered with fire rate and heading or unless you are taking incoming fire.

Discussed this with Emmet next week, if a friendly shoots we cant assume that equals contact in this enviroment and restraint needs to be maintained until a contact report or enemy fire is incoming. Pte Makinen actually ND'd as the first shot at the ground, with an L110A1 and it instigated another Section to open up in force. 3 Sec will take the responsability for this one but it shows two things;

1) ND's are always a concern and its the first, and last, time this member has done it. Lesson learned.

2) People are far too fast to assume contact and need to await fire orders or here actual Incoming fire/REEF drills. Theres a fine line between, and obviously a close friendly fireing when enemies are spotted will easily cause chaos if we do not control our Sections. Assume no fireing, unless specifically ordered with fire rate and heading or unless you are taking incoming fire.

Would like to say thanks to Taylor, and that I actually love this ROE and the scrutiny we afford this incident. Sure, it's difficult and we may have to revise, but it's valuable training.

I was watching those guys with an ACOG on one of their heads. They both started sighting their weapons towards us, as you can hear me report. There was a shot fired, I took my target down. I wasn't ordered to. I'm afraid if there's guns threateningly pointed my way and shots are fired, I'll act rather than wait to see if the next bullet's coming for me or my mates. Those two guys were defending their family and property as any of us would and their premature deaths are a horrible tragedy. Their running around with weapons like that and aiming them at us was not our fault, though.

</metagaming>

I think it's safe to say that in-game it's way easier to work like that. I doubt I'd have fired if it were real world. Perhaps in RL we'd have called out to them either in warning or to tell them we were Brits. How /should/ that have played out in game though? Assuming no shot fired by us, would the AI have let us walk up to them to chat? I actually hope so, 'cos adding the dimension of /armed/ non-hostile civs would add such an extra level of immersive play.

I'd like to propose Briggs's new nickname of "Zapruder".

Archived