Operation Coldharbour VI

Evans D

It's been a while since I've started one of these...

Anywho, PICTURES!

Members of the Fire Support Group ready their Javelins against a possible enemy armour threat:

javelins.png

Jako surveys the area:

jakoaim.png

Kawalsky ensures that the sections fall back safely as extraction is called:

kawalskyguard.png

A Chinook of 1 Flight comes in to land:

1flightchinookapproach.png

2 Chinooks of 1 Flight touch down to extract the platoon and their attachments:

1flightchinookland.png

Videos soon!

[video=youtube;RRv_kMSDkxk]

[video=youtube;kKo0FB5WAIY]

Last video is not public for obvious reasons. What the video doesn't show was my frantic attempts to radio Sabre 1 telling them to stop/reverse. Even after that abysmal display, I think armoured recce is something we could do in the future but it MUST BE DONE PROPERLY.

I wouldn't. Oh well, at least we did our bit to demolish possible ambush positions for the PSM, by running over some trees. Although I doubt whoever was in that graveyard will be too happy with us, I'm expecting eternal damnation.

I think the main reason the Warriors failed was due to two factors.

A) The crews weren't trained (which wasn't really anybody's fault, considering how little time they had)

B) The steel beasts weren't employed properly. Armoured recce is all well and good, but if you're sending them in that close to the enemy over open fields, they're essentially asking for an RPG up the arse. They'd have been better off lurking in the treeline and scanning with thermals.

I think miscommunication was a problem aswell, in the video Sarge can be heard ordering Scarle to turn around, which obviously Scarle didn't hear. I think having the warriors is great if they can be employed properly but it needs some work, and I'd certainly prefer to be blowing things up with Javelins.

The thing which made me angry was how we seemed to disobey the simplest of orders. If the Sgt says we should be moving up slowly alongside the infantry before we set off, we shouldn't go gallivanting around the forest at 70 km/h. If he says to stop, that's what we should do, if he says to come back the way we came, we shouldn't accelerate in the opposite direction. You can put it down to little training with these vehicles but the things we fucked up on are things we do all the time as 2/1. I just hope what happened last night doesn't put people off using the warriors in the future because I really think this is an area we should exploit. On behalf of 2/1, I say sorry for that mess and that it will not happen again.

To be honest, thinking that we could use armor of any kind without any training or SoPs what so ever (Even in the simplest of forms)

Was a bit to over ambitious on HQs part.

I for one would love to go through some proper stuff with anyone who feels for it, even though it may take forever for us to use armor again.

Archived